Graphic Design: Visualizing and Communicating Data
Online, Jul 20 - Aug 14 | Asynchronous
ages 13-17 | Online | 2020/SE-APHSS-0089-02 ( Class not open for registration )
0 contact hours | 0 credits | tuition $1600
This course is part of Session II (Featured Topics) of RISD Advanced Program for High School Students.
Data visualization is storytelling that helps translate information into knowledge. With an abundance of information streaming into our lives, how can we process and design complex and large volumes of material into a simple, honest and accessible form? In this course students learn how to use information structure and systems of form, color and typography in projects that communicate data through a variety of methods such as maps, graphs, charts and diagrams. Lectures introduce historical references such as Charles Joseph Minard's 1869 flow diagram of Napoleon's campaign of 1812 and Henry Beck's 1931 revolutionary London Underground map. Contemporary designers Giorgia Lupi, Francesco Franchi, Sandra Rendgren, Nigel Holmes and Nicholas Felton will also be used as inspiration for individual projects. Issues regarding data collection and individual privacy will be touched upon, including a look at how artists such as "Glass Room" are addressing these concerns. Assignments will explore issues of mapping, hierarchy, location, time, comparison, motion, format, and the use of symbolic visual language to help students build a series of concepts and final work. Students will learn various methods of compiling data and translating this information in both analog (hand-making) and digital tools.
- This class will be taught through our online course management platform (CE Link).
- This course requires access to Adobe Creative Cloud, or some of its creative tools such as Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign. Monthly subscriptions can be purchased from a variety of pricing plans directly from Adobe.
- This course requires access to the following hardware: a digital camera or smartphone; scanner
- Please visit our Registration FAQ for additional information and resources.
- Name: Suzette Cozzens (Bio)