Design by Michael Camara
With the foundational classes of Drawing, Design and Applied Color, the Interior Design Certificate Program equips students with the skills and knowledge needed to create and implement all phases of an interior design. Courses address the creative aspects of the field as students develop the discipline and organizational skills that are the foundation of a successful business. Color, texture, light and the inherent characteristics of materials interact to convey the language of design together with such functional concerns as structural and space planning. This program addresses the importance of collaboration, communication, critical thought, discipline, ethics and organizational skills. Upon completion, students will be prepared to pursue a variety of interior design careers. Note: This non-credit program does not satisfy NCIDQ or ASID eligibility requirements.
- Space planning
- Materials and finishes
- Furnishings and accessories
- Color sensibility
- Drafting and rendering (hand and digital)
- Understand the core principles of scale, proportion, light, circulation and delineation of interior spaces
- Differentiate between the requirements and approach to residential vs commercial interior design projects
- Gain fundamental comfort in hand drawing, perspective and using CAD software to create 2D and 3D depictions of interior spaces, including aesthetic, structural, electrical, media and HVAC systems
- Learn about the characteristics of various materials, lighting and furnishings and how they are used to communicate design solutions with regards to their color, texture, pattern, style and harmony with one another
- Build organizational and project management skills to properly estimate costs, time, profit and keep vendors and all other aspects of an interior design assignment on track
- Communicate a design plan in artistic and verbal presentation formats
- Understand how to build a portfolio for potential career opportunities in both residential or commercial interior design, theatre/set design, interior decorating, staging (for real estate)
Current tuition rates; subject to change over the course of your program. Supplies, software subscription fees and other materials are not included.