Online Certificate: Courses in this certificate are delivered completely online.
The Residential Interior Design Certificate Program equips students with the skills and knowledge needed to create and implement all phases of a residential interior design process. Courses address the creative and business aspects of interior design that are foundational to success in this field. Students explore how color, texture, light and the inherent characteristics of materials interact with functional and structural concerns of space planning to develop a coherent language of design. They will become well versed in each stage of planning, creating or updating the home environment for areas such as kitchens, baths, and indoor/outdoor spaces. This program addresses the importance of collaboration, communication, critical thought, ethics and project management. Upon completion, career possibilities include interior design, textile and surface design, theater/set design, staging for real estate, visual merchandising for home furnishings, and retail home design professional/consultant. Note: Because this program is non-credit, it does not satisfy NCIDQ or ASID eligibility requirements.
- Space planning
- Materials and finishes
- Furnishings and accessories
- Color sensibility
- Drafting and rendering (hand and digital)
- Understand the core principles of scale, proportion, light, circulation and delineation of residential interior spaces
- Gain fundamental comfort in hand drawing, perspective and using CAD software to create 2D and 3D depictions of interior spaces
- Learn about the characteristics of various materials, lighting and furnishings and how they are used to communicate design solutions with regard to their color, texture, pattern, style and harmony with one another
- Build organizational and project management skills to properly estimate costs, time and profit and keep vendors and all other aspects of an interior design assignment on track
- Communicate a design plan in artistic and verbal presentation formats
- Understand how to build a portfolio for potential career opportunities in residential interior design, theatre/set design, interior decorating, and home staging.
Current tuition rates; subject to change over the course of your program. Supplies, software subscription fees and other materials are not included.