Design is the discipline underlying all forms of visual expression. This course examines design as a deliberate process starting with identifying what design elements are and how to effectively utilize design principles to organize them. The formal elements of design, including line, shape, plane, form, pattern, value, and texture, are introduced. You will work through a variety of challenging exercises learning how and when to apply design principles of figure/ground, contrast, balance (symmetry and asymmetry), unity, repetition, alternation, rhythm, dominance and sequence. Design studies and projects use black, white and values only. Material exploration will include pen and ink, pencil, gouache paint (mixing and handling) and collage. Skills acquired in this course have direct applications to anyone working in art and design, from painters and artists to art directors, illustrators, interior designers and interactive designers.
Students must be an adult age 18 or older to participate.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Animation : Level I: Core, Electives
- Graphic Design : Level I: Core, Electives
- Interactive Design : Level I: Core, Electives
- Jewelry Making + Design : Level I: Core, Electives
- Natural Science Illustration : Level I: Core, Electives
- Painting Studies : Level I: Core, Electives
- Photography : Level I: Core, Electives
- Product Development + Manufacturing : Level I: Core, Electives
- Residential Interior Design : Level I: Core