Plants and flowers have been an inspiration and source for investigation for artists for hundreds of years. In this course, students, through video lectures, tutorials and presentations, discover how to create their own beautiful botanical illustrations while getting acquainted with the multitude of patterns, shapes, colors and textures botanicals provide. The history of botanical illustration and how to recognize botanical forms is given; equipped with this knowledge, students, working independently, paint photographic botanical specimens of students' choosing, with input from the instructor, using gouache, an opaque watercolor. Students discover the broad range of color intensity and coverage that gouache provides while experimenting with transparent layering to opaque coverage in developing dynamic botanical illustrations. Emphasis is on individual growth and approach.
PrerequisitesStudents must be an adult age 18 or older to participate.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Animation : Electives
- Graphic Design : Electives
- Interactive Design : Electives
- Interior Design : Electives
- Jewelry Making + Design : Electives
- Natural Science Illustration : Level II: Concentration, Electives
- Painting Studies : Electives
- Photography : Electives
- Product Development + Manufacturing : Electives