Drawing is an essential means of communicating, and central to every artist’s and designer's practice. In this course, students begin learning to define shapes and forms with line: investigating weight, direction and speed through gesture, contour and planar analysis. Then moving on to value, using both additive and reductive ways of working, they learn to utilize the power of light and dark to create a sense of texture, volume and space. Measuring and attention to negative space are essential skills used and reinforced throughout the learning process. Transcribing what is seen or imagined into visual form utilizing multiple approaches -- from note taking to rendering to diagramming and sketching -- is explored. The course is structured around demonstrations, guided exercises, and sustained drawing of varied subject matter including still-life, landscape, architecture and the human form.
Students must be an adult age 18 or older to participate.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Animation : Level I: Core, Electives
- Graphic Design : Level I: Core, Electives
- Interactive Design : Level I: Core, Electives
- Jewelry Making + Design : Level I: Core, Electives
- Natural Science Illustration : Level I: Core, Electives
- Painting Studies : Level I: Core, Electives
- Photography : Level I: Core, Electives
- Product Development + Manufacturing : Level I: Core, Electives
- Residential Interior Design : Level I: Core