Well-designed interior spaces are functional, aesthetically pleasing and sustainable. With a focus on design as applied to residential interior spaces, you’ll build an awareness of core principles—scale, proportion, light and progression—as a means to create harmonious and well-designed spaces. You’ll examine functional and economic aspects of interior spaces and develop a process book that documents a new understanding of lighting, acoustics, textiles and material choices. SketchUp will also be introduced to translate initial drawings into scaled, 3D designs. Through exercises and a final project, you’ll learn to apply the basic principles of visual design to interiors, and to better understand how form and function can be translated into practical designs for livable interior spaces.
Note: This course was previously titled “Interior Design: Introduction.”
Students must be an adult age 18 or older to participate.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Animation : Electives
- Graphic Design : Electives
- Interactive Design : Electives
- Jewelry Making + Design : Electives
- Natural Science Illustration : Electives
- Painting Studies : Electives
- Photography : Electives
- Product Development + Manufacturing : Electives
- Residential Interior Design : Level I: Core